The Water Mill Museum Board voted in 2013 to make Arthur Muller an Honorary Life Member of our Museum.
After returning from military service in 1945 Arthur became the 13th Water Mill Postmaster. He would serve in that capacity for 30 years from 1946 to 1976 making him the longest serving postmaster since the position was created in 1866.
He is the only Water Mill Postmaster to hold that position in three different post office buildings. His first post office was in the building, now an art gallery, just to the east of the driveway into the parking lot of Market Square.
Needing more room in 1961, the post office moved to the stucco building west of the Penny Candy Store.
When the Market Square shopping mall was built in 1976, part of one of the buildings was set aside as a post office. It was from that building that Arthur retired in September 1976.
For seven decades Art has quietly taken the initiative to look after any number of tasks of benefit to the museum such as helping with restoration in the early 1970s, monitoring the level of Mill Pond and generally looking after its health and appearance, and has set an example for Water Mill of a citizen genuinely dedicated to the preservation and propagation of the values essential to a small community such as ours.
The 2014 Seasonal Exhibit - Postal Service in Water Mill - at the Museum was made possible due to generous access to Arthur Muller's archives and funds from membership dues.